This week Selsport were lucky enough to catch up with Northampton goalkeeper Matt Duke and ask a few questions. The former Derby County, Wycombe Wanderers and Hull keeper has cemented himself as a fans favourite of The Cobblers, even more so after their impressive run in towards the end of last season to escape relegation. Here’s what he said to Selsport:
Afternoon Matt, lets straight into the questions
First of all the minute quiz tell us your preference?
• Favourite Movie = Batman. The Dark Knight Rises
• Ideal Car = Range Rover Sport
• Favourite other sport? = Darts
• Favourite holiday destination? = Cyprus
• Matt can you give us a brief bio of your career to date?
MD – Chesterfield youth team, Matlock Town, Sheffield United, Burton Albion, Hull city, Bradford City, Northampton town and also I’ve been on loan to Derby County & Wycombe Wanderers. Played in all four divisions including conference. Also played in 2 Levels Lower than that. Sent off in the League Cup Final for Bradford. 1st ever red card!!!
• Last year’s scrap at the tail end of League two went to the wire, but Northampton went on a real run of form – What was the secret?
MD – We never stopped believing we could do it and it took a lot of work from the management team to create a belief that we could do it.
• What can we expect from Northampton this year?
MD – It will be a good season and I expect us to reach the play offs as a minimum.
• Your currently coming back to full fitness from an injury are things going well?
MD – Yes, back training now so hopefully back in contention now.
• Sitting watching from a far must be hard how do you best cope with that?
MD – It’s hard you just have to get on with it
• Looking back as a goalkeeper coming through the ranks what did you find tough and what would you suggest to any young goalkeeper in that position to work on?
MD – Keep working hard and practice as much as you can. Don’t let mistakes damage your confidence because the next shot may well be a great save.
• How do you keep yourself motivated as a goalkeeper?
MD – Just my love for the sport.
• Tell us about your gloves and why you choose Selsport
MD – Really like the fit and I’ve always found that the palms are really good. Very good quality.
• What the most important of a glove for you?
MD – Comfort and grip.
• What have you got your sights on for this season?
MD – Just to play as much as I can because I’m not getting any younger!!!
• Can you give us a Matt Duke top goalkeeping TIP?
MD – Work hard on the things you feel you can improve on….but also work hard on the things you are good at and don’t get complacent.
Many thanks for talking to us at Selsport Matt, Good luck for the season and keep us up dated with pics.